Sunday, April 29, 2012

“To travel is to live”



Last week I flew off to Copenhagen, Denmark to visit my friend Ebba! Ebba had been an exchange student at my high school junior year, and we had both played on the softball team. Since she has returned home to Sweden we have kept in touch, and she was very kind in inviting me to come for a visit! This was my first solo travelling experience in Europe (aside from getting to Ireland) so I was a little nervous, but it went pretty smoothly. I arrived in Copenhagen and then took a train from the airport for about 30 minutes to the city of Lund, where Ebba met me. Lund is a great town, the perfect size, and with adorable buildings and cobblestone streets. Everyone was also very friendly and most spoke English  J  In the evening, some of Ebba’s friends came over and we watched a movie. It was really interesting to hang out with Swedish people my age to get their perspective on different things. Even though I was only there for a few days, it seemed like the Swedes were a little more similar to Americans than the Irish I’ve met here in Galway. Again though, I can’t really judge a whole country based on a few days’ worth of observations, so it’s just an opinion!
The next day Ebba showed me more of Lund, including the University that she attends. I even sat in on her statistics class, which was still pretty cool since I had no idea what the professor was saying. I also learned that math is terrible in any language! Afterwards we visited the cathedral, which was very impressive. In addition to the crypt (where Finn the Giant can still be seen holding up one of the pillars), the cathedral contains a large clock/calendar. Every day at noon and 3pm it performs a little show, kind of like a cuckoo clock. The amount of detail on the clock was really neat, especially since I had never seen anything like it! That afternoon we headed over to the handball arena for a playoff game! Lund’s women’s team was playing a team from Stockholm in the first game of a series. This was my first time watching a game of handball (an extremely popular sport in Sweden), and I was definitely hooked! The girls were very aggressive, I can only imagine how crazy a men’s game gets! Unfortunately Lund lost, but it was still a great atmosphere and I totally understand the appeal of the sport now. That evening we went out to a nation, which is similar to a fraternity or sorority back home. During the day, nations serve students food at much cheaper prices, and at night they transform into a bar/nightclub. I was able to meet more of Ebba’s friends (all of whom were super sweet!), and we had a great time!
On Sunday we boarded the train I had taken to Lund from the airport and rode it back into central Copenhagen for a day of sightseeing. Our first stop was the Little Mermaid statue! HC Andersen, author of the Little Mermaid (and many other great stories) was from a suburb of the city, so there are many tributes like this to him all over the place. After getting pictures with the statue we walked through a wonderful little park and over to the Danish Resistance Museum. Dedicated to the brave men and women who worked tirelessly to disrupt the Germans as much as possible during World War II, the museum was very touching and informative. The Danes had one of the best underground systems during the war, so it was really interesting to see some of the artifacts of the time and learn more about the individuals responsible for defending their country even after it had fallen. Following the museum, we walked down to Amalienborg Palace, where the royal family of Denmark resides. Along with a few hundred other people, we watched the changing of the guards! It was really cool to see, especially since we had missed it in London. The entire process took about a half hour. Of course the procedure was extremely deliberate, and the guards wore blue uniforms with the big, poofy, black hats (just like at Buckingham Palace). Following our time at the palace, we walked through an adorable waterfront area called Nyhavn. The buildings were very colorful and all of the cafes lining the street made for a great scene. I’m sure it is quite lovely there in the summer time! Next we continued walking through the main shopping district of Copenhagen. There were plenty of American stores (Nike, Foot Locker) and restaurants (McDonald’s, Burger King, 7/11). We ate lunch at a cute little place (where of course I got a cheeseburger, too afraid to try anything traditional), and then found some genuine danishes for dessert (so good!). Our last stop of the day was Tivoli Gardens and Amusement Park. Although it rained off and on, it was still really fun going on rides and walking around the gorgeous grounds of the park. It was the perfect way to cap off a great day in the Danish capital! J
On my last full day in Sweden Ebba treated me to a scenic road trip of southern Sweden! Our first stop was Smygehuk, the southern-most point in the country. Next, we travelled to Ale’s Stones in Kaseberga. Located on a ridge, Ale’s Stones are very similar in looks to Stonehenge. Because the weather was so nice, we decided to have our “fika” (snack/coffee break) on the cliff overlooking the water. Afterwards we continued on to a lovely beach that Ebba said is very popular during the summer. I could definitely see why, as it was really nice with white sand. Next, we drove to Glimmingehus, which is the best-preserved stronghold in all of Scandinavia. After getting some pictures there, we made our way to Stenshuvuds National Park for lunch. A forested area that ran all the way down to the beach, it was certainly a great spot for a picnic! The final stop on our road trip was Kungagraven, the burial site of a Bronze Age king. This giant mound of rocks was pretty odd, and included a door in the middle (that you couldn’t go in of course). We then headed back to Lund, ending a wonderful day of cruising around the country!
All in all I had an incredible time visiting Ebba in her home country! It was really interesting to experience a completely different culture (which in many ways wasn’t all that different actually). I was able to see and do many things that I definitely wouldn’t have been able to if it weren’t for Ebba, so a huge thank you to her and her mom for hosting me! J  Sweden and Denmark were both fantastic, and I wouldn’t hesitate to return! Thanks for reading!


Click here for pictures from Sweden

Click here for pictures from Copenhagen

No comments:

Post a Comment